Re: Chords and relative notes

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Chords and relative notes
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:49:27 +0200

2009/5/28 Brandon Olivares <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm confused about something.
>
> If you have a chord, followed by either another note or chord that uses ' or
> , to change the octave, is it relative to the last note of the chord, or to
> the first?
>
> For instance, if I have <e c> followed by g', would it go two G's above E,
> or 1 (relative to C)?
>
> I read the documentation, but it shows images for the output of each
> example, and I am blind.

We tried to explain it in

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Single-voice#Chorded-notes

Here, the first two chords are <c e g> <c f a> and the c is a common
pitch between them. Obviously, this would only be possible if the
second c were relative to the first one. No need to write c, to lower
the pitch of the second c despite of being a fifth down from the
preceding g

HTH
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)