Re: slurs - once attached to stem ends, once to note heads

From: Werner
Subject: Re: slurs - once attached to stem ends, once to note heads
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:15:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Mats.

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

> Werner wrote:
> >
> > Very strange - for me
> >
> > d'8( b)~\slurDown
> >
> > in the ly-file (see first posting) really doesn't take any effect.
> >
> The macro \slurDown makes a setting that affect all slurs following the
> command. Since you have specified it after the slur, it doesn't have any
> effect.

OK I haven't read the notation reference attentive enough and thought, I have to
put it after the slur.
But it seems, there isn't said, that it will then affect all the following
slurs. Good to know.

> Also, since you only want to modify a single slur, not all future slurs, it's
> better to either say
>
> \once \override Slur #'direction = #DOWN d'8( b)~
>
> or even better use the  following shorthand:
>
>  d'8_( b)~

That's also a good hint.

> The reason that you get the problem at all, is that you use \voiceOne
> (which is what you should do since this is the upper voice of the two in
> the same stave) and \voiceOne specifies that all stems should point
> upwards and all slurs should go upwards.

Well - it is the first voice of two of course. But the problem is another:

The slur actually should be upwards, but from note head to note head like at
every other place in this piece and like it is using eighths with flags. Only
using eights with beams this „problem“ (I just don't like this) appears.

Greetings

Werner