Re: Optimal page breaking

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Optimal page breaking
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:31:11 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes
On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 00:18 +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
Isn't working "quite right" and I can't see how to fix it (12.2).

From the content of your email, I suppose you mean page-turn-breaking
rather than optimal-breaking?

Same thing? I used the title of the manual section, rather than the engraver.

I've got a piece that I would like to fit on 3 pages (it insists on
going to 4 :-( but it also insists on breaking at rests after page 1 and
3. There's a rest on the last line of page 2 that it should break after,
which would then give me one turn instead of 2 (and far more time to
turn in :-)

If you know exactly where you want the page turn to happen, you can
leave the Page_turn_engraver out and specify the turn with
\allowPageTurn. In general, if you prefer page turns only after longer
rests, you can set the context property minimumPageTurnLength to
something larger than the default.

I was hoping to let lily do it all by default - this particular piece uses several bits that I'd like to turn into my personal templates and I'd rather not put specific hacks in :-)

Oddly enough, I couldn't get it all to fit on three pages - lily insisted on spilling onto the fourth even with page-count = 3 - UNTIL I did as you suggest and set minimumPageTurnLength. At which point it decided to fit everything on three pages and break where I want at page1. Perfect :-) One easy turn.

 From the documentation it seems like it's supposed to break after every
second page (ie what I want). But it's breaking on the first and every
subsequent 2 which I don't want. I thought there was an option to tell
it whether to break after odd or even pages but this isn't mentioned
along with everything else. Does this option exist, and what is it?

The page turn algorithm isn't very flexible in this regard: it only does
page turns after odd-numbered pages. If you don't want a page turn after
the first page, you need to set first-page-number to 2.

Oh well. I thought I remembered some way it could be changed, when it was being discussed on devel.

Thanks,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden