Re: Lilypond is amazing! (engraving Reubke)

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: Lilypond is amazing! (engraving Reubke)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:02:24 +0200

Dag Simon Bailey,

op donderdag 16 april 2009, schreef je:
> nice. that is an amazing piece of work. congratulations. and i'm
> intrigued: can you recommend a good recording? (preferably available
> via itunes...)

Thomas Trotter made a very good recording, although the organ (Klais) sounds a
bit too "modern" to me for the piece. There should also be a recording by
Christopher Dearnley. made in St. Pauls Cathedral in Londen which is
excellent. When I heard that one on the radio somewhere in 1985-1986 (I was 14
or 15) I was sold to the organ, and Reubke's piece is the *very* reason I
became a professional organist. And this year I performed the piece myself for
the first time, from the Peeters (Keller) edition. While studying I found that
the original score has many directions that were omitted or changed in the
Peeters edition. That was one of the reasons as well I decided to make a
modern, good looking score that exactly copies all directions, dynamics,
registrations etc. from the original 1871 score.

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/