Re: invisible slurs in tablature

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: invisible slurs in tablature
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:05:01 -0600

On 4/1/09 1:09 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:
>>

> Would it be easier to define two separate staff commands? In my files, I
> define
>
> noten = \relative c { c d e f }
>
> and feed this into a Staff AND a TabStaff. So, why not create a compound
> Staff (called \MusicTabStaff, for example),
> which does exactly the same as
>
> << \Staff { \noten } \TabStaff  { \numbersOnly \noten } >>
>
> and uses only the numbers, whereas \TabStaff (as defined in lilypond) is
> used in the cases where
> no regular staves are needed and thus shows up everything (stems, slurs
> etc.)?

There are at least two ways to go with this.

The first is to have a StaffGroup that includes a Staff and a TabStaff.  It
would be something like a PianoStaff.  I don't know the details of how that
would word, but I suspect it could be done.

The second would be to write a simple music function with one argument (call
it myMusic) that expands to

<< \new Staff { myMusic} \new TabStaff {\numbersOnly \myMusic
\undoNumbersOnly} >>

This music function would be a simple substitution function>.  You can use
those in Notation Reference 6.1.2 as examples.

>> When the decision is made, and it's ready for submission to LilyPond, the
>> defaults will be established in ly/engraver-init.ly
>>
>> The commands for changing from one to the other will be established in
>> ly/property-init.ly.
>>
>> Marc, once you've got consensus, you can make the changes and roll me a
>> patch, and I'll apply it.
>>

> Ok, but I think we are just at the beginning of the topic. The more I
> think about tablature features/defaults,
> the more complicated it gets ;-)

Oh, absolutely.  But it's not necessary to add everything all at once.
While we're in a development cycle (2.13), we can add features a little bit
at a time, and hopefully be close to done by the time we release 2.14.

Carl