Re: Adding \new Lyrics \lyricsto "Tenor II" \text cancels \set timing

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Adding \new Lyrics \lyricsto "Tenor II" \text cancels \set timing
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:36:11 -0600

On 3/23/09 2:59 PM, "Jay Hamilton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mr. Bailey- would like me to go and reread a section of the LM, that is all
> well and good but in the Manual for 2.10 section
> 7.3.9.4 Printing stanzas at the end- I used the information to create the
> score.  The score looks fine except that when I add the
> \new Lyrics \lyricsto
> my stems reappear.  So the original question remains why does adding this line
> of code into a place that makes the 'text' work and in the proper place on the
> score remove the
>   \set Score.defaultBarType = "empty"
> so that the stems reappear?
>
> Thanks- Jay

Jay,

If you look at the example from the documentation, you will see that the
extra lyrics are *outside* of the \score block.

In your attempt, you put the extra lyrics in the \layout block which is
*inside* the \score block.

So your attempt is *not* the same as the example that's shown in 7.3.9.4.

As I understand it, the standard use of the \layout block is to put
information in that describes how the music will be laid out, but no actual
music content.

In your example, you put music content (a new line of Lyrics) in the \layout
block, which is certainly non-standard, and probably invalid.  With that
usage, you don't get the desired output.

This may be a bug, in that perhaps LilyPond should complain when you put
music content in a \layout block.

James was inviting you to read the Learning Manual because you apparently
don't understand the difference between the \layout block and the normal
music expression part of the \score block.

So I guess the answer to your question is: I don't know and probably neither
does anybody else.  You've created invalid LilyPond code, and it does
something, but not what you had hoped.

HTH,

Carl