Re: auto ottavation

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: auto ottavation
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 20:20:15 -0500

On Sunday 01 March 2009, Rob Canning wrote:
> hello,
> is there anything i can \set or \override or anything in order for
lilypond to
> automaticaly take care of ottavation?
> i would like to be able to set an upper and lower threshold and then
when these
> are exceeded lilypond will automagicaly take care of the ottavas?
> thanks
> rob
> --------------
> address@hidden
> --------------

That's a good idea.  Another feature that has been on the back burner
for a very long time is the automagical shortening of stems of the
highest notes with stems up and the lowest notes with stems down.
That practice is standard with engraved music, and IMO it is the
greatest difference between the appearance of engraved music and
that of a lilypond score.

Your suggestion reminded me of that because both features involve
a response to notes outside of a pitch range, so thare is that
similarity.  Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards