Re: \transpose and \transposition combination error(?)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: \transpose and \transposition combination error(?)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:28:51 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Peter Chubb
<address@hidden> writes

>Trevor> Hmm.  Not sure it's a bug.  The \transpose command transposes
>
>I think it is (and I reported it as one some time ago).
>
>The point of \transposition is to notate a Staff at a different pitch
>from its sounding pitch.  When you combine this with other staves,
>with different transpositions, the whole thing shoul dthen be
>transposable.

iirc (from falling afoul of this myself), \tranposition is to do with
midi output. Nothing whatever to do with printing music. Seeing as I
don't do midi, I just dropped using \transposition and forgot about it.
Mind you, I think the then-current version of lilypond was 2.4 ...

>I want to do this for vocal music, to match the capabilities of the
>singer we have.  The accompaniment is for clarinet and piano, notated
>with \transposition bes and plain; I want to transpose the lot down
>afterwards by a tone ...
>
>I've just about given up using \transposition now.  Instead I notate
>clarinet parts as
>
>Clar=\transpose c' bes \relative c' { ... }

Ah ... so it sounds like you ARE trying to print parts. So, if what I
was told long ago is right, then \transposition is useless for what you
want.

>and then transpose the part up again in the \score block for MIDI
>output.
>
>It's a pain.

Umm ... I do everything in concert pitch anyway (playing the trombone,
it's a transposing instrument if it feels like it :-) so I would do
"Clar=" just like you do when entering notes so Clar is concert pitch.
Then, under normal circumstances when printing it I'd transpose it back
to B flat. Obviously, you'd not do it here.

So, FROM CHOICE, the way I would do it is

Clar = \transpose c' bf { clarinet notes }
Piano = \transpose c' c' { piano notes }

% to output music at pitch

\score {
        \staff
                \transpose bf c' \Clar
        \staff
                \Piano
}

% to output music transposed down a tone

\score {
        \staff
                \transpose c' bf { \transpose bf c' \Clar }
        \staff
                \transpose c' bf { \Piano }
}

I know you might look at that and think "what on earth", but to me
(playing an instrument that may or may not transpose, and working with
other instruments that are mostly transposing), I just find it so much
easier to work with everything at concert pitch, and transpose as
required on input and output. (You could probably put that transpose at
score level, I don't know, but I'm just trying to show the way I think.)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden