Re: Total invisibility

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Total invisibility
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:21:15 +0100

El 18.02.2009, a las 00:57, Gilles Sadowski escribió:

Hi.

I'd like a "Voice" to be totally invisible (i.e. taking up no space)
while
retaining midi output.

Then don't include it in the \score block with a \layout. You can have
multiple \score blocks in a file.
\score {
        \new Staff {\bagpipeMusic}
        \layout {}
}
\score {
        <<
                \bagpipeMusic
                \droneMusic

        \midi {}
}

Unfortunately, that doesn't fit well with my current "templates": I use one file for each instrument, then another file for the full layout (that refers to the "Staff" variables defined in those other files) and then still others that contain the "\score"... Well, in short, I'd rather keep the reference
to "\drone" in the bagpipe file, if possible.
Hence seeking the eventual "\set" or "\override" that could get the result. I assumed that something akin to "[...] #'stencil = ##f" would have been nice
but, if that doesn't exist...

How does this not work for your templates? I'm assuming you have a \score block in your file. It probably has a \layout {} and a \midi {} block in it. You duplicate the \score block, and leave one with the \layout {} and one with the \midi {}. Then, in the one that has the \layout {}, you remove all references to the "invisible" staff. Perhaps if you can make available the entire process I could understand what's not working for you.