Re: suggestion: add fingering position "above-string" in FretBoards

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: suggestion: add fingering position "above-string" in FretBoards
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:20:58 -0700

On 2/10/09 10:17 AM, "-Eluze" <address@hidden> wrote:

> btw i'm surprised how Lilypond plays d-major (xxo123)

It's how I play D, and since I'm the author, I'm the expert!

Actually, I've looked in multiple locations, and they're split about 50-50
between 123 and 132.  If you use "classical" hand position (with fingers
mostly perpendicular to the strings as they reach across the neck), 123 is
an easier reach.  On the other hand, if you use what I will call "pop" hand
position, which has the fingernails pointing roughly along the strings, 123
is an easier reach.

Anyway, I've seen both fingerings.  And any user can easily redefine for
their preferred fingering, so I don't see a big reason to change it.

But I'm open to more data that might change my mind.

Thanks,

Carl