Re: avoid slur help

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: avoid slur help
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:57:21 -0800

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 03:50:46PM +0100, Eyolf ?strem wrote:
> On 26.12.2008 (15:06), Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > > If so then I'd just use d!4. instead.
> >
> > No, it was common practice to put accidentals above notes in older times.
> > Sometimes these were meant to be optional, sometimes they were cautinary
> > accidentals. In any case, if you try to be close to the source, you should
> > write it above the note and not as d!4.
>
> Slight correction: it is customary in modern editions to put editorial
> accidentals above the note. They are not optional, but frequently left to
> the performer to apply, according to more or less strict rules (see "Musica
> ficta" in the docs).

Thanks, Eyolf.  I was going to post something very sarcastic.  :)
No, wait -- I'm going to do that anyway.  *ahem*

To everybody apart from Eyolf who posted in this thread: musica
ficta can be found through a "see also" link under NR 1.1
Accidentals, directly in NR 2.8.3 Annotational accidentals (musica
ficta), or in NR appendix F index.

Cheers,
- Graham