Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:34:40 +0200

2008/8/11 Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) <address@hidden>:
> My point is that lilypond-user reading users won't get used to it. Many of
> them are newcomers and beginners. They don't usually follow the
> conversations on the list.
>
> Perhaps it's because of my software developer experience, but I am strongly
> and seriously against abbreviations and acronyms in any case. Reading and
> interpreting abbreviated text needs much more overhead than what you gain
> during write time. Not to mention better text editors where you can define
> abbreviations thus eliminating write time overhead.

After having read the whole thread, I second your suggestion to drop
all acronyms for our manuals names.
If we doc writers and developers can figure out almost instantly what
these acronyms mean when talking on -devel list, then we ne don't need
them in the documentation index either; moreover, on my Linux box with
Firefox 3 this page looks good with a 800 pixels screen width only if
we remove those acronyms, so I will remove them unless there is any
serious objection.  If we ever need to remember the meaning of one
acronym, a quick glance at the  titles in the documentation index is
enough.

Cheers,
John