Re: broken octaves

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re: broken octaves
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:11:48 +0200

Dear Jay,
You wrote : "What should the output be? {c4 g' b, f' c g'} or {c4 g' b, fis' c g'}".
In my case, I'm much more interested in the second case "{c4 g' b, fis' c g'}". Because I'm writing mostly atonal music, I don't have to fear voice-leading teachers (and I think broken fifths have never been forbidden)!

2008/7/27 Jay Anderson <address@hidden>
On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Stefan Thomas
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Jay,
> many thanks for Your very nice plugin! I think it will be a very useful
> thing for me.
> But I have one question:
> I would be interested in having other plugins  for other intervalls, or even
> for small sequences of notes. If I want to change the Interval from an
> ovtave to, lets say, a fifth, where do I have to turn the screw?
> Thanks for Your help, Stefan

It isn't trivial to get other intervals. For example if we're in the
key of c major and we do this: \brokenfifths #1 {c4 b c}

(don't let your voice leading teacher know you have this function :)

What should the output be? {c4 g' b, f' c g'} or {c4 g' b, fis' c g'}

Probably the first. So now let's do the same thing in f major: \key f
\major \brokenfifths #1 {f4 e f}

We'd probably want {f4 c' e, bes' f c'}. To do that we'd need some
information about the key to know we need a b flat here. Peter Chubb
has done some work here to get trills working on correct pitches for
midi (for that computer controlled clarinet project). (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-04/msg00686.html).
I never followed up with him about how he's noting key change events.
He might be processing a whole score at once to get this extra
information.

-----Jay