Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:49:01 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Am Dienstag, 15. Juli 2008 schrieb Bertalan Fodor:

Currently JEdit with LilyPondTool is the only editor for LilyPond that
provides syntax checking and autocompletion of tweaks. I consider those
such crucial features I can't image how other people can work without
it.

Apparently, you haven't used kate yet... Kate also has full syntax coloring,
auto-completion (even of self-defined commands and all other identifiers
already used in the same file)! It even supports folding of {... } and << ..

Does it automatically put the identifiers from the included files into the list?
Does it provide autocompletion for tweaks? Like \override Voice.*** where *** is automatically selectable from the list, and after selection does it automatically expand to the default value of the property?
Does it underline the error if you accidentally type g.4 instead of g4. for example?
Does it jumps to the right place into the editor from the PDF even after changing the file (ie. maintaining old positions)?
Does it work on Windows, Mac, and Linux?

LilyKde is a great tool, I think it has some good ideas which were only present in jEdit/LilyPondTool, but it is quite young and - what is the most important for me - doesn't work on Windows, and lacks the automatic syntax check, which is LilyPondTool killer's feature.

Bert

sections spanning multiple line. Plus, there is a command-line panel

already built-in to call lilypond directly from there (I'm using a makefile
to make building large scores with multiple files easier).

Plus, Kate supports syntax highlighting/checking/folding, etc. for practically
any other language (e.g. Scheme and C++, so I can also edit lilypond source
in the same session).

Here is a screenshot, in case you are curious how it looks like:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/temp/Kate_lilypond.png

Cheers,
Reinhold