Re: Staff spacing problem with piano centered dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Staff spacing problem with piano centered dynamics
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:04:44 +0200

What LilyPond version do you use? Don't expect an example written for
version 2.5 to provide optimal layout in a later version, especially
not if it uses such  strange tricks as this particular example. To find
a relevant example to use as a starting point, look at the "Templates"
section of the manual for your version of LilyPond. Note also that the
vertical alignment handling has been significantly revised and improved
in the latest development version, 2.11.x, which by now is at least as
bug free as the "stable" 2.10.33 version.

   /Mats

Quoting jimmy2 <address@hidden>:

After months of work, I just finished setting a long piece for piano, using
the example
LES NÉRÉIDES given in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/examples.html as a
template.
This uses dynamics between the two staves,

\score {
      \new PianoStaff <<
        \new Staff = "upper" \upper
        \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
        \new Staff = "lower" <<
          \clef bass
          \lower

The problem is that whenever dynamics are present, they tend to create much
more extra space between the staves than is necessary, leading to very
nonuniform looking
systems (see  http://www.nabble.com/file/p18454033/example.jpg example.jpg
).  I have tried everything  I could find in the documentation and on this
forum which seemed to be relevant, and nothing has had any effect on this
unwanted extra vertical space.   I will greatly appreciate any advice!
--Jim