sustainOn

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: sustainOn
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:55:11 +0200

See, this is why I should subscribe to the development list…
While changing sustainDown/sustainUp to sustainOn/sustainOff makes sense in the lilypond internals, it really doesn't make sense musically. No one is going to confuse placing a sustain marking above the staff. They don't go there, they never go there, that makes about as much sense as putting guitar fretting or tablature below the staff, they don't go there, it would be confusing to have the option. sustainDown was one of the things that makes lilypond so normal. You play a piano, you push down on the pedal, and it sustains. In computer terms, something is switched on, but computer language doesn't have to mimic what the computer does. Lilypond syntax is really logical, this is a step in the illogical direction, if you ask me. It's up there with changing figured bass so that it's input backwards from how anyone conceptualises the musical term.

I vote, as a pianist, for sustainDown/sustainUp. Who's with me?