Instruments with Diatonic Fretting

From: Stephen Seifert
Subject: Instruments with Diatonic Fretting
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:59:03 +0000 (UTC)

I am notating for instruments that are not chromatically fretted. Consider the
modern mountain dulcimer. One possibility is three strings with frets placed to
produce the following steps: Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Half, Half, Half.
This produces a major scale with the addition of a flat seven.

Older dulcimers and most European ancestors are fretted W, W, H, W, W, H, W, W.
Newer dulcimers are fretted W, H, H, H, W, W, H, H, H.

I have been using Tabledit but would MUCH RATHER use Lilypond. Considering the
instruments I'm arranging for, will Lilypond make my job easier and/or more
fruitful?

THANK YOU,

Stephen Seifert