Re: building a DIY Lilypond engraving server

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: building a DIY Lilypond engraving server
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:08:13 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> What I'm looking for are some "best practices" for how this might be set
> up -- first from a technological standpoint (e.g., how to configure such
> a server), and second from a Lily-code standpoint (e.g., how to write
> code that would allow "in-line" modifications of the volta structures).
>
> Like I said, this is a *long-term* thought, so there's no rush... but if
> anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them!  =)

It is probably worth looking at http://arxiv.org/ -- nothing to do with
music, but an important example of a system that compiles documents 'on
the fly' for download.  In this case they're scientific articles mostly
typeset using LaTeX.  I don't know how open their software system is --
beyond the fact that they must use a lot of free software to run the
site -- but you might get some good ideas or advice from them.

You could also look at the Eprints software -- http://www.eprints.org/
-- which is definitely open source, although again it won't be of direct
use to you.  Hopefully it will provide some ideas or inspiration though.