Custom lyric extender

From: Peter Johnson
Subject: Custom lyric extender
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:16:24 -0700 (PDT)

I've recently started working with Lilypond (2.11.45, Mac OS X) and am hugely impressed - congratulations to all involved.

My main interest is contemporary vocal and choral music. Here, one commonly needs to indicate a transition from one phoneme to the next. It seems natural to do this with a lyric extender and Kieren MacMillan in this post suggested a way to force an extender right to the next lyric syllable. Assuming one isn't using extenders for normal melismas, one can create a thick line suitably spaced in this way:

\context {
\Lyrics
\override LyricExtender #'thickness = #6
\override LyricExtender #'left-padding = #2
\override LyricExtender #'right-padding = #2
}

However, composers indicate transitions in many different ways - lines, dashes, arrows, or double lines, wavy lines - which may be vertically centered or on the lyric baseline. How can one customize the lyric extender symbol or create a special function to do this? Is there a better way altogether? I'm no coder and this is just beyond me, but I'm sure someone out there can help.

Many thanks.

Peter