Re: In octaves

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: In octaves
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:55:15 -0700

>  Hi Jonathan, here's the function I proposed earlier. it takes a number
>  as an argument: if you want to add upper octaves, specify #1, if you
>  want lower octaves, type #-1. Its very dirty and it suffers from the
>  same bug (i.e. it's probably a bad idea to use it inside a \relative
>  block when you have to use commas and single quotes), but hopefully
>  someone will clean the code and address the issue.

To make it work in a relative section always use 0 for the octave up
and -2 for the octave down. I don't really know how to make it work
both inside and outside of a relative section easily. This is my first
dip into some of lilypond's internals and I don't totally understand
how relative sections work here. If anyone knows how to fix that I'd
be very grateful because I have a few other similar functions where I
just assume one way or the other. The best solution I have for now is
to define one function for inside a relative block and one for
outside.

One thing I'd like to do instead is something like this:

octaves = #(chord-template #{<c c'>#}) (or maybe #(chord-template 8) I
don't know which would be preferable.)
\octaves {c d e f}

Then you could easily define others:

thirds = #(chord-template #{<c e>#}) (or #(chord-template 3))
octaves-down = #(chord-template #{<c c,>#}) (or #(chord-template -8))
oneFourSix = #(chord-template #{<c f a>#}) (or possibly #(chord-template 4 6))

I might get a chance to take a look at it this weekend.

-----Jay