Re: Old LilyPond versions

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Old LilyPond versions
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:14:42 -0400

    Graham> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:37:16 +0200
    Graham> "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

    >> Thank you very much for these comments. I do think we need to talk
    >> more about this issue.

    Graham> Oh, has it been six months already?  ... yeah, I guess it has.

    Graham> No, we most certainly do *not* need to bloody talk about this
    Graham> issue.  We "talk" about it approximately twice a year.

I am aware that all the issues I raised in my email are things I've
said before.  I said them again because Valentin asked.  He's an
important and involved member of the lilypond community, and if he
isn't aware of the problems, many other readers of the list probably
aren't either.

All mailing lists have recurring topics -- the membership changes, and
the focus of individual members changes, and sometimes there are new
perspectives on the old topics.  If you don't like reading the old
arguments, you have a delete button.

    Graham> - a certain grumpy doc writer points out that if you read the
    Graham>   instructions in
    Graham>   LM 5.1 Suggestions for writing LilyPond files
    Graham>   then you can avoid almost all these problems.

The grumpy doc writer has said many times that he knows nothing about
vocal music.  None of the suggestions in 5.1 is going to change the
fact that manual conversion is necessary for all vocal music
transcribed before 2.4.

And in any case, drawing the attention of new members of the list who
are struggling to convert old projects to LM5.1 is one of the benefits
of rehashing the old topic.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139