Re: How to use line-break-penalty?

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: How to use line-break-penalty?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:17:04 +0000

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 17:59 +1100, Joe Neeman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 13:46 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the line-break-penalty property of the
> > paper-column-interface to set some preferred line-breaking positions
> > (e.g. to prefer a line break at the start of a variation in a set of
> > variations, or at a repeat sign).
> >
> > However I'd prefer not to _force_ a line-break with \break as I want the
> > source to be usable for different paper and staff sizes. (LaTeX does
> > this well with \linebreak[2], for example.)
> >
> > I'm using:
> >
> > \once \override Score.PaperColumn #'line-break-penalty = #-20
> >
> > but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. Any ideas?
>
> There are 3 things I can think of: first, you need to override
> Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn instead of Score.PaperColumn (the
> PaperColumn contains only notes and other musical objects while the
> NonMusicalPaperColumn containes bar lines; line breaks always occur in a
> NonMusicalPaperColumn).
>
> The second thing is something that applies whenever you override a paper
> column: the override has to be one timestep _before_ the place where it
> takes affect. Don't ask me why.
>
> And the third thing is that you may want a value smaller than -20. I
> used -100 to no effect (admittedly not on a real-world example).

Thanks Joe, I did some more experimenting and have found something that
works. Actually the value doesn't have to be very big (-10 works in the
following example), but for some reason \once \override doesn't have any
effect whereas plain \override followed by \revert does work.

\version "2.11.40"
\score {
    {
    \repeat unfold 12 { c'' c'' c'' c'' }
    \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-penalty = #-10
    d''
    \revert Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-penalty
    e''4 e'' e'' e''
    \repeat unfold 24 { c'' c'' c'' c'' }

Mark Knoop