Re: trill notes

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: trill notes
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:31:35 -0500

Hi Bert,

I would say that in C-minor (if the harmonic structure, context etc is C-minor) I would not use Fb, but E, because the flat version of IV grade seems very strange for me, while the neutralized version of III grade is common.

If it's a C-minor chord, and the trill is on degree III from above, I would personally use the flattened IV: in standard Western harmony the resolution tendency of a flattened note (e.g., IV-flat) is downwards, whereas the resolution tendency of a raised note (e.g., "neutralized" III) is not. In C# minor, would you use E sharp instead of F-natural?

This kind of decision is definitely context- (and, often, person-) specific: no "rule" can ever be universally helpful.

Best regards,
Kieren.