Re: pedal bracket too short

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: pedal bracket too short
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:37:37 +0100

Am Freitag, 29. Februar 2008 schrieben Sie:
> Dear Reinhold,
> You wrote:
> "the bracket always ends at the staff change or at the last note (i.e. it
> does not end at a rest!)"
> But in the below quoted example it does!

Okay, I just noticed that this only applies to whole-measure rests.

If you change
     \li r16\sustainUp r2...
     \li R1\sustainUp
the bracket will end before the staff change.

Also, notice that a sustain bracket started on one staff cannot be ended at
the other. In particular, If you move the \sustainUp somewhere after \re, but
before \li, you'll get an error message that the start ot the spanner cannot
be found (because internally it is in a completely different voice).

To sum up: the current shortcomings of sustain brackets seem to be:
-) Cannot end at a whole-measure rest or a skip (will end at the last note in
that voice before the whole-measure rest)
-) Cannot start and end at notes on different staves (even if you only use
\change Staff)

In both cases, lilypond cannot find a proper end point, so it ends the bracket
at the last actual note of the voice before the intended end point.
At least the first one is an obvious bug, but that has already been there in
2.10.5, too (i.e. it's not a regression; not that this is of any help for
you,...).

Cheers,
Reinhold