Re: Additive time signatures (was: GDP ... complex meters)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Additive time signatures (was: GDP ... complex meters)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:17:13 +0100

2008/2/28 Kurt Kroon <address@hidden>:

>  I was mistaken ... it *is* possible to extend the syntax (which seems
>  completely reasonable, in retrospect).  I've borrowed (and stretched) the
>  compound-time-signature snippet as follows:

Yes, everything is possible :)

>  It isn't quite right -- the measure grouping should be 3+2+3, not 3+3+2,
>  which I attribute to my perfunctory reading of the section on overriding the
>  auto-beam setting -- but I'm positively gobsmacked at how close it is.  If I
>  manually beamed what I wanted (instead of trying to have LilyPond do it for
>  me), Lily would do it exactly as I expected it.

You should add an additional beaming rule:
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 8 8) 5 8)

Plus, as mentioned on http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=259 you'd
better use the #(set-time-signature x x '(x x)) syntax instead of
\time.

>  Does this qualify to be added to the compound-time snippet?
>  And if so, am I the one who's supposed to add it?

You're welcome, the LSR is made for everyone :)
However, perhaps you may want to expand only one of the two snippets
on http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Search?q=measure+grouping and tell me
to delete the other one. That's up to you.

Cheers,
Valentin