Re: GDP: info about controlling direciton / placement

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: info about controlling direciton / placement
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:41:59 -0800

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:26:25 -0500
Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> >> The advanced term is "grobs", but I'd rather avoid that here.  For
> >> some reason I prefer "controlling direction" instead of
> >> "controlling placement", although I can't give any reason for this.
>
> > I'm not fully convinced that everybody will understand what
> > "directions"
> > refers to (can't a conductor give directions, for example?).
>
> What about "controlling position"?

If there's consensus about this, I'm happy with that.

The original title was "Up and down", but I thought that was silly.
Calling it "Controlling vertical {direction/position}" might be
possible, but then it seems to exclude setting the horizontal
position... although there are very few such cases.  (maybe fingering?)

Cheers,
- Graham