Re: partial rearrangement done, technical problems

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: partial rearrangement done, technical problems
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:57:18 -0700

Trevor Daniels wrote:
Well, yes - at least one other likes it.  But only if every
sub-section within it concerns an actual instrument, and the
list of instruments is complete (at least as far as the
instrument-specific parts of LP are concerned).

There's wide support (well, two people) for promoting Strings and
Bagpipes as main sections, so I'll reinstate them.

Remember that I'm totally open to renaming this chapter name (if we keep
it as a chapter).  I'll do it as soon as I get something better than
"Purpose-specific notation".

 So the
sub-sections should not include Chord Names nor Ancient
Notation - these should be sections in "1. Musical
Notation".
Why do I prefer it?  Well, it separates out those parts
of the manual which are of interest only if you are writing
for that particular instrument.  Others can simply ignore
sections that don't concern them.  In effect it shortens
the manual without removing anything.

I completely agree with this reasoning (that's why I did it in the first
place)... but this applies to Ancient and Chord names.  As a string
player, I've never used that stuff, so IMO they make sense to be in
chapter 2.  Whatever we end up calling that chapter.

If this is technically possible and does not give
rise to serious maintenance issues maybe this could
be extended to chapters too.

In theory, it's technically possible.  In practice, it isn't.  Sorry.  :(

- Graham