Re: TrillSpanner inside slur

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: TrillSpanner inside slur
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:55:14 -0700

On 9/19/07, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Toine,
>
> > because there is no mention of outside-staff-priority in the program
> > reference for Slur.
>
> You have to click on through to the grob-interface list.
> Yet another example (so many recently!) of why there should be a
> complete settable-properties list available for each grob...  =)
>
> Best regards,
> Kieren.
>
> p.s. Nicely done, Trevor! This is LSR material, probably...

Thanks, Kieren. I do a lot with layered spanners and lines of all
sorts to show different strata of stuff, so I happened to know that
one off the top of my head.

Joe did some pretty amazing stuff with the skyline code and IIRC the
outside-staff-priority property in the grob-interface comes from his
work on that code. The cool thing is that outside-of-staff-priority is
very very *systemmatic* ... it operates on a very general principle
and you don't have to keep the intricacies of different grobs in mind
when you're playing around with it. In case anybody else stumbles on
this thread later, the two things you *do* have to keep in mind when
using outside-staff-priority are ...

1. If you have two (or more) different grobs fighting for vertical
position outside of the staff, make sure to set outside-staff-priority
on *both* grobs (which is what caught Toine), and

2. It is possible to set outside-staff-priority = ##f. This fact isn't
readily apparent in the docs, but it can be very powerful. What you're
doing with outside-staff-priority = ##f is basically saying "hey grob,
I don't want you to participate in the whole skyline spacing
business."

(Seems like newcomers probably first discover staff-padding as a way
to control the vertical positioning of indvidual grobs; using
outside-staff-priority (possibly together with staff-padding) is
probably more of an advanced thing; I should probably write up a quick
something about the differences and find a place to stick in the docs,
possibly in a new spacing section or something. But not until the dust
settles from the GDP.)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden