Re: GDP: six

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: GDP: six
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:56:22 +0200

On 14.09.2007 (08:23), Graham Percival wrote:
> http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Doc

 * 1 Notation Reference
         o 1.1 Pitches

I don't like the sectioning of this one. Why is "Transpose" and
"Instrument transpositions" split up? It doesn't make sense to me.
Ottava brackets should also belong here somewhere.
Also, "Changing multiple pitches" -- it sounds precise, but it isn't
necessarily so. At least it sounds unnecessarily complex
Join "Note names in other languages" with "Writing pitches" - that's
where it belongs.
That leaves Clef and Key signature, which might come first -- since
it's fairly fundamental -- or last, since it falls a little on the
side of the other items. Thus:

          o 1.1 Pitches
                   + Clef
                   + Key signature
                   + Normal pitches
                     + Note names in other languages
                   + Accidentals
                   + Cautionary accidentals
                   + Micro tones
                   + Relative octaves/Octave check
                   + Transpositions
                   + Ottava brackets

         o 1.4 Repeats
                   + Repeats and MIDI

I wonder: isn't it more natural to gather the midi stuff in one place
and just have a cross reference here? After all, the page looks the
same regardless of what the midi output sounds like; the person who is
likely to need this information, will have trouble with his midi file
and will be looking for it in the midi section, not primarily under
repeats. At least I would. I did.

 o 1.7 Educational use   (or "increasing readibility" ?)

I don't like this one, I must say. Neither font size, improvisation,
or shape notes or fingering have much to do with educational use in my
book.
I think font size should go in a page layout section or something (at
least that's how I use it, but I can also see how it would fit here).
The sections are ok, I guess, but please don't call it all educational
use... How about "Appearance Tweaks" or something?

         o 1.15 Ancient notation

I have no problem with this section -- and it is my area.

Eyolf

--
Brandy-and-water spoils two good things.
                -- Charles Lamb