Re: GDP: fourth rearrangement

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: GDP: fourth rearrangement
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:32:40 +0100

On 9/14/07, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
Neil Puttock wrote:
> On 9/14/07, *Graham Percival* <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

>     No; we should use "staff" and "staves".  One of the instructions for the
>     Trivial/Easy will be to fix any such mistakes.
>

> Hmm... I'm detecting a distinctly American bias here.

As a Canadian, I always try to write good English, not that other
language.  Other than "-ise".  "-ize" looks much cooler, since it has a
"z" in it.  :)

I do apologize; I shouldn't make assumptions.

I don't have any beef with "-ize"; if it's good enough for the OED, it's fine by me.

> I wonder whether there's space for a Queen's English translation. ;)

Really?  Do people across the pond say "staffs" ?  It sounds like the
kind of thing an American would come up with.

In the UK, we say stave/staves.