a modest proposal for input syntax

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: a modest proposal for input syntax
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:26:43 -0400

My biggest problem in typing input is getting notes in the correct octave. Relative mode doesn't help me that much because I have to stop and think which direction is within a fourth of the previous note.

The thing that's unambiguous is direction. If I'm on the b in the middle of the staff, the f at the top of the staff is up, and the f at the bottom is down, and I don't have to think to know this. As things are now, I have to type f to go down and f' to go up (I think). My suggestion is that I should type fu for up and fd for down, or fuu or fdd to go up or down another octave. It's simple, it's easy, and it's automatic.

Thanks for a great program
Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I could care less.