Re: lilypond-book and pagebreaking

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lilypond-book and pagebreaking
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:23:51 -0400

    Mats> As far as I can see, the command \betweenLilyPondSystem is
    Mats> used both between headers and music as well as between score
    Mats> lines, so the only reason I can see that it's more likely to
    Mats> get a break after a header may be that the score lines take
    Mats> more vertical space than the headers, so if LaTeX has to
    Mats> make a page break anyway, then it will be easier to fit in
    Mats> the header at the bottom of a page than another score line.

I think the attached file disproves that theory.  It has a header that
clearly takes up more space than a single snippet, and latex is
still deciding to do the page break between the header and the music.

    Mats> Do you have more than a single score in each lilypond block?
    Mats> Otherwise, it should be possible to insert some command
    Mats> before each lilypond block to encourage LaTeX to make page
    Mats> breaks there, rather than within the lilypond block.

My attempts to put "\addpenalty" commands into \preLilyPondExample
have so far not achieved anything like what I want them to.  If
someone who's a better texpert than I am has done anything like this
successfully, I'd be grateful if they'd explain how to make it work.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139