Hard-to-engrave bits involving polyphony

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: Hard-to-engrave bits involving polyphony
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:55:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all,

I'm engraving one of Chopin's nocturnes for Mutopia and I've run into a
couple of limitations that I don't know how to get around.

First off, I have a situation like this:

\relative c'' {
    << { f8 e ~ <c e> <c e> } \\
       { c4 s4 } >>
}

where I need the c4 tied to the c in the first <c e>—in other words, I have
a chord where one note needs to be tied to a note in the same voice and the
other note is tied to a note from a different voice!  What's more, I need an
arpeggio to the left of the first notes (the c and the f).  How can I
accomplish this?

Secondly, I have a similar situation involving polyphony:

\relative c'' {
    << { a8 d } \\
       { e,8 a } >>
}

where the first a8 needs to be tied to the second a.

Finally, I have a grace note situation like this:

\relative c' {
    << { c4 e g r } \\ { s2 s4 s8 \acciaccatura b8 s8 } >>
    \acciaccatura b8 c1
}

where I need both grace notes tied to the c1.

Can anyone help with any of these annoying little problems?  Thanks a ton in
advance!

--
Benjamin D. Esham
address@hidden  |  AIM: bdesham128  |  Jabber: same as e-mail