Re: opening Ly-files

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: opening Ly-files
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:54:06 +0200

2007/6/19, Hombergh Henri van den GTZ VN <address@hidden>:

Thanks Valentin, but I do not need the score, I need the individual parts so
that we (a small amateur quartet here in Hanoi, Vietnam, can play without
having to turn the page every 30 seconds. So if you have time, please teach me
how to download from Mutopia.com the individual parts.

Of course; as a pianist, I hadn't thought at all that you might want
to print the individual parts!
My bad.

The point is: music expressions which are defined as an identifier, as
I told you:
instrumentName = {music...}
...can't be compiled "as is".
The easiest solution would be to edit each file, and delete what comes
before the opening curly brace (the instrumentName, and the equal
sign):
{ music...}

Another solution, somehow more elaborate, is to rewrite the main
"QuartetOpus18_No4_1.ly" file, to make *four* \score blocs instead of
one single. It might become something like:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\include "violinoone.ly"
\include "violinotwo.ly"
\include "viola.ly"
\include "cello.ly"

\header {
 title = "Quartet No. 4 in C Minor - Opus 18 No. 4"
 subtitle = "Allegro ma non tanto"
 composer = "Ludwig van Beethoven"
}

\book {

   \score{
       \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violino 1"
    \violinoone  \pageBreak } }

\score{
       \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violino 2"
\violinotwo \pageBreak } }

\score{
   \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Viola"
\viola \pageBreak } }

\score{
   \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Violoncello"
   \cello }

I hope this will help you (it should work for the other movements as
well); and as Mats already told you, I strongly advise you to read our
tutorial as soon as you can, to fully understand how LilyPond works;
then you'll be able not only to print your parts the way you like, but
also to contribute yourself to Mutopia, or improve the existing
scores. I can assure you the Lilypond community will be very pleased
to welcome you!

Regards,
Valentin