Re: Any possibility to define a new accidental-style ?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Any possibility to define a new accidental-style ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:53:34 +0200

Hello everybody,

a few months ago, I started this thread to ask how to define an
accidental-style I really needed --and still need.

Rune had kindly answered me, but I guess he hadn't got the time to
figure out how to do it; this is why I ask again today, in case
someone couls help me.

Moreover, this is really a popular way to print accidentals in
contemporary music, and I would reaaly like to see LilyPond handle it.

Let me sum up this behavior:

--the first accidental in a bar is printed (like in 'default style)
--if a note with an accidental is immediately repeated in the same bar
(same pitch, same octave), the accidental is not printed (like
in 'default style)
--if the same note occurs later in the bar, the accidental is printed
again (like in 'forget style)
--if the same note gets natural, even at a different octave, a natural
sign is printed (like in 'modern style)
--sometimes, cautionnary naturals signs can even be printed in the
immediately following bar, without parentheses or whatever (which can
be obtained in Lily by setting the "laziness" property) --just in case
the musician would forget there isn't any accidental anymore...

As Rune pointed out, the only tricky part here is to distinguish if a
note is immediately repeated, or reappears after a few other notes.

I hope someone will be able to find a way...

Cheers,
Valentin