Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 04:17:07 -0700

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi, Mats --

This is a typical situation where you want to use
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

Thanks for that tip -- I'm finally "getting it" with regard to "average-spacing-wishes".

Great! Once your show opens, could you have a look at the 2.11 docs and see whether #'average-spacing-wishes is sufficiently well documented? (err, wait until 2.11.23 is out; I there's been some changes to the Spacing chapter recently)

However, that doesn't fix the fact that Lilypond's spacing is generally too close at the beginning of measures.

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=242&can=2&q=left

Could you make up a minimal example (perhaps with some of the stuff below) that shows that #'average-spacing-wishes doesn't work? In this case, I think we'd like a totally minimal example -- but still one that makes the output look at bad as possible. :)

Until about 2.9, I felt like each version of LIlypond required progressively less tweaking on my part to produce good-looking scores.
Since 2.9, it seems like it's required *more* work on my part.  =(

Anything in particular other than this? The vertical spacing collision avoidance in 2.11 is amazing, so I'd like to make sure that 2.12 doesn't have anything that detracts from it.

Cheers,
- Graham