Re: producing "archival" scores

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: producing "archival" scores
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:18:28 -0700

Jason Merrill wrote:
You can turn anything else
into lilypond via MusicXML, but once you've worked on it in lilypond,
there's no obvious way to get it back into a different editable
format.

See "to-xml.ly" and "song-*.ly" in the regression tests.

 Luckily, this problem could be entirely addressed on
Lilypond's end if it could be compiled to a suitable interchange
format.  Figuring out if there was already a way to do this was the
intent of my original question.

Short answer: yes.

Medium answer: no, AFAIK it's not really usable on its own.

Long answer: we would welcome any patches and developers interested in building *and maintaining* musicXML output (and input). I considered submitting this as an idea for google summer of code, but my summer plans became busy enough that I decided not to apply. I might do so next year, but a much better solution would be for an interested user to step forward and start coding.

musicXML -> lilypond is currently done as a python script; python is a very nice language and is quite easy to learn.

lilypond -> musicXML is currently done in scheme; scheme isn't as easy as python, but I don't think you need to learn a lot of it in order to do this.

Cheers,
- Graham Percival, LilyPond Documentation and Bugs