modern, simple chord charts desired

From: Adam Monsen
Subject: modern, simple chord charts desired
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:27:26 +0000 (UTC)

Is it possible to create modern, simple chord charts with LilyPond? I'm thinking
of the kind that are commonly used for sing-alongs that have simply lyrics and
chord names above the words. Something like this:

  D            G                D               A7
  When I was a little bitty boy just up off the floor

     D                  G               A7                 D
  We used to go down to grandma's house every month end or so

10 Bonus points for verse/chorus layout:

VERSE 1
...lyrics + chord names, as indicated above...

CHORUS
...lyrics + chord names, as indicated above...

VERSE 2
...lyrics + chord names, as indicated above...

CHORUS
...nothing here, indicating "see chorus"...

VERSE 3
...lyrics + chord names, as indicated above...

CHORUS
...nothing here, indicating "see chorus"...

20 Bonus points for bass notes (like the 'E' after the slash, below):

  C  C/E   F   Bb

I scoured google, the bundled documentation (which is excellent, btw!) and
mailing lists but couldn't find examples of what I'm trying to do. Any ideas?

If this isn't the right software to use, is there another bit of free (as in
freedom) software out there than can do this effectively? I've just been typing
up songs in openoffice.org and manually putting the chords in the right place,
but this is a bit tedious.

Would it be hard to hack this feature into LilyPond?

--
Adam Monsen