Re: MetronomeMark does not obey staff-padding

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: MetronomeMark does not obey staff-padding
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:18:22 -0700

I've added this as a feature request:

- Graham

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:20:39PM -0400, Bryan Stanbridge wrote:
Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but given my tests, I suspect it is (so I copied the bug list). It appears that the MetronomeMark object does not pay attention to staff-padding. Does it not have any reference points defined for staff-padding perhaps? Here's my simple test version.

\version "2.10.20"

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \tempo 4=120
    c'4
    \override Score.MetronomeMark #'staff-padding = #5
    \tempo 4=100
    c'4
    \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 5)
    \tempo 4=80
    c'4

This
    \override Score.MetronomeMark #'padding = #5
works.

Yes! It seems that the logical(?) explanation to this "bug" is that metronome marks (just as bar numbers, e.g.) are handled at the score level, so they are note tied to any specific staff. Since LilyPond therefore doesn't know which staff to calculate the
distance from, the property isn't taken into account.

Still, it would certainly be desirable to be able to specify the smallest distance to the top stave and not only the smallest distance to the closest object (which is what the padding property gives you), so I would classify this problem as a valid bug report. Of course, a possible workaround is to remove the corresponding engraver from the Score context and add it to the topmost stave, but that's a very clumsy workaround:
\score {
 \new Staff \with{\consists Metronome_mark_engraver } {
   \tempo 4=120
    c'4
    \override Score.MetronomeMark #'staff-padding = #5
    \tempo 4=100
    c'4
    \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 5)
    \tempo 4=80
    c'4
 }
 \layout{
   \context{ \Score \remove Metronome_mark_engraver }

  /Mats

  /Mats