Re: Why -dshow-available-fonts doesn't list "Times Italic"

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Why -dshow-available-fonts doesn't list "Times Italic"
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:04:28 -0300

2007/3/16, Trevor Bača <address@hidden>:

Unfortunately I just don't know much of anything, really, about font
management on my operating system; it's just a shielded resource in
most applications other that Lily.

Does anyone see an obviously missing directory in the above output
that would explain why I'm getting mostly regular style fonts instead
of italic and bold?

Mac uses something called dfonts, which mean that all 4 versions of
the font come inside one file.  Lily will unpack the right font from
the dfont, but fontconfig doesn't look inside them.

Solution: use fondu to extract fonts to separate .ttfs yourself, and
put them in the ~/.fonts directory.