General Thought on ChordNames Context and horizontal spacing

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: General Thought on ChordNames Context and horizontal spacing
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:53:24 +0000

I was having problems with the horizontal spacing using the ChordNames context.  I tried to put in a post, but it was delayed (presumably due to the size of the attachment).  I cancelled the post because I found my work around, and think I understand the issue.

I was using a basic chordal rhythm of quarter - quarter - dotted quarter - eigth, tying the eight to the quarter that starts the next bar.  Some of my chords have fairly long names - E7sus4, Cadd9/add#11.  It seems that the engraver was basing the spacing on what would be needed with all the chord names printed, even though I had set the ChordChanges to true.

I worked around it by removing the chords in the ChordName context wheere they are not needed.  That is I replaced the chords inthe middle of each bar with rests.  Presto - score looks far more consise and readable.

I'm using v2.6.5 on a windows box.  I figured since I had not seen anything in the archives about this I'd post it for posterity, although I'm not sure how applicable this is to newer versions.