Re: problems with german umlauts

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: problems with german umlauts
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:52:34 -0800

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:31:24 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Henkelman wrote:

> On my machine I can write a single ascii text document (using the
> full table)
> that is in german, spanish, danish, norwegian, french, english.

Jonathan - the whole point of what he was just telling you is that what you're
calling "the full table" isn't ASCII, whatever it may claim. Only the first
half (the easy stuff) is ASCII - the rest is arbitrary additions that nobody
agrees on. The fact that it's on your machine or in your reference book means
nothing to anybody else.

There already is a "standard within the LP community" to solve this problem -
it's UTF-8. Extra add-on standards would just make trouble for everybody, since
nobody's files would match anymore, and everybody would be getting and giving
wrong instructions because of it.

David