Re: midi2ly doesn't respect the --key

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: midi2ly doesn't respect the --key
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:27:34 -0500

    Graham> I'm not surprised; MIDI files only specifies the pitch number, not
the
    Graham> actual note (i.e. bes and ais are both note 58).  midi2ly is not
    Graham> intelligent enough to pick notes out of the same key.

Then what does the --key feature do?  If it doesn't decide that note
58 is a bes in F major but an ais in B major, what does it do?  I
thought it might put the correct \key statement into the .ly file, but
it doesn't seem to do that, either.  If it's going to be a complete
no-op, it should be removed.

I had thought that this used to work, but can't verify it by checking
midi2ly 2.0.3.

    Graham> I doubt that this will ever be implemented; I think the
    Graham> best way to improve our importing abilities is to work on
    Graham> the musicxml importing.

Best as in the theoretically best way to transfer information between
full-featured notation programs, yes.  Best as in the best way to get
information off the web and into lilypond for typesetting, no.

Has anyone ever found an XML file on the internet that they wanted to
typeset?  I very frequently find ABC and MIDI files that I want to
use.  So abandoning abc2ly and midi2ly, or even etf2ly, doesn't seem
to me like a way to increase the utility of lilypond.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139