Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:40:05 +1100

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 05:06:20PM +0100, Manuel wrote:

> Am 25/12/2006 um 16:36 schrieb Geoff Horton:
>

> >>Don't worry just yet about the naturals. We'll come to it in a
> >>moment.
> >
> >It is not clear from the context what "it" refers to in the second
> >sentence.
>
> I'll try and better that.

How about "Don't worry about the accidentals. for now. We'll come to
those in a moment."

> >>You change the clef changing the denomination "treble" for
> >
> >You're using "denomination" here (and elsewhere) in a way that is not
> >common in English.
>
> Would you please suggest an appropiate term?

Perhaps the simplest solution would be the best -- instead of
'denomination' try 'word'. The closest thing I can think of that might
mean 'denomination' is label, but that's not quite correct in this
instance and could be confusing when the reader starts to learn about
contexts.

> >>You can amuse yourself writing all possible and also impossible
> >>examples of simple melodies, and see what happens. Don't worry,
> >>whatever you type, you can't break it...
> >
> >What does "it" refer to?
>
> The program: like saying, "you'll break no bones if you do".

Perhaps, "... see what happens. Try whatever you like -- if LilyPond
doesn't understand what you've written it will stop and try to tell
you why. If that happens, have a look through your file and try to see
if there are any obvious mistakes -- missing braces, misspelled words
etc."

Cameron Horsburgh