RE: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Kress, Stephen
Subject: RE: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:29:47 -0600

Ok.  Based on what everyone has been saying and seeming to come to an agreement on, here's the details of the changes that we are proposing be made.

1.  \times is replaced by \tuplet since tuplet makes more musical sense and convert-ly can easily be updated to make the change.  Because of convert-ly, there's not a real reason (other than the status quo people are used to) to keep \times around.

2.  The first argument to \tuplet may be either a ratio (more understandable to musicians) or a division (as is currently supported).  The punctuation between the two numbers marks what it is.  A single number will not be supported.

3.  The second argument remains an arbitrary musical _expression_.  There is no reason to force the _expression_ to contain only the "proper" duration of notes since LP is already built to engrave this situation properly.

4.  By default, a single number will be engraved in the tuplet bracket.  There is already the text property of the TupletNumber object that can be tweaked to get the ratio printed if one so desires.  In other words, no changes need to be made to LP in how the single number vs. ratio engraving is done; LP already does it right.

That's all we seem to be talking about.  A minor syntactic change that adds clarity and flexibility without making anything (except maybe the parser) more complicated.

I think this captures the consensus of the discussion.  If we're agreed, we can find out what the price tag will be...

Stephen

2006-12-20, 15:33:08
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.