Re: Tutorial

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Tutorial
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 12:44:07 +0100

Hello everybody,

I may be out-topic, but I would like to talk about how useful Wiki applications might be to Lily...

For instance, Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan has started writing a quite good Wikibook, based on the official tutorial.

http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introduction_%C3%A0_LilyPond

Currently it is only in French, but as he told me, he would be ready to start another one in English. I find it would be a very good idea to open some Wiki-based Lilypond tutorial, or unofficial Documentation. This would make corrections much easier and simpler, and moreover this could help promoting Lilypond, since the Wikibooks-Wikipedia community is huge and very active.

And if you like the Wiki idea, I'd like to add that there may be several opportunities to combine Wiki and Lilypond typesetting ; for instance one could imagine some extension like LaTex-oriented Wikipublisher ( http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/ ), but especially designed for Lilypond...

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you all. I love this list :)

2006/12/3, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Right! This first example of the tutorial is somewhat idealized to hide
> unnecessary complications. I hope you haven't got stuck there but rather
> kept reading and experimenting with the program.
>
> Graham, maybe we should modify this first example so the user output is
> exactly the same as the version printed in the tutorial.

I'm not opposed to this; I've gone back and forth on the issue myself.
To be honest, biggest reason that I haven't changed it already is that
{c d e f g...}
are in the bass clef range, so we either introduce \clef bass at the
very beginning, or have huge ledger lines in the treble clef.

I've added this to my list of easy jobs for people interested in
helping.  (I'll probably post it tomorrow)

Cheers,
- Graham