Re: multi \transpose in old crook- trumpet parts - a solution

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: multi \transpose in old crook- trumpet parts - a solution
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:20:27 -0700

alanvw wrote:
After considerable mucking about I offer this solution for those who have similar problems :- The music - Dvorak's "Symphonie.IX.Sinfonia" E Moll - Mi Minore IV movement Opus 95.
The Part - Trumpet II (E, Es, C)
The first half is for E crook, then 2 measures with Es crook, then 16 measures with E crook, 16 meas. with C crook then the rest in E. (diabolical) 1. Enter all the code as per the original.
How about:

1. Enter all the code as per the original into a "notes" file keeping the five sections described above in separate definitions (macros):

% file: dvorak_trumpet_original_part.ly
% apply appropriate \relative commands below
emusici = { <first half in E> }
esmusic = { <2 measures in Es> }
emusicii = { <16 measures in E> }
cmusic = { <16 measures in C> }
emusiciii = { <rest in E> }

2. Assemble the piece in the same file with:
music = { \emusici
               \transpose e es \esmusic
               \emusicii
               \transpose e c \cmusic
               \emusiciii
               }

3. In a separate file (to avoid redundant transposition calculations)

%file: dvorak_bes_trumpet_part.ly
\include "dvorak_trumpet_original_part.ly"
{ \transpose e bes \music } Maybe no less effort but it seems more direct. I'm a woodwind doubler and I do this all the time.

If you want both A and Bes trumpets as you mentioned then skip step 2 and go directly to:

2A: Create this file:
%file: dvorak_a_and_bes_trumpets_part.ly
{
   \transpose a e \emusici
   \transpose bes es \esmusic
   \transpose a e \emusicii