Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:00:28 +1000

Luise Marion Frenkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my Debian like Linux (actually Kurumin) installing lilypond works
> fine, without complaints, but I cannot use it because my system still
> finds some old version (2.4.0).
>
> I have been using lilypond since 1.4.12 or alike, and in this system
> of mine it has been quite complicated to have an up to date lilypond
> without compiling it myself, which I never managed, for lack of libs.
>
> The installation of Lilypond 2.4.0 never worked, and I endend up
> installing the lilypond-snapshot package for 2.4.1, which works fine
> (except emacs mode, which the attempts to install 2.7 have confused). I
> have directories of old lilypond versions (2.2 and 2.4) scattered
> through my system which did not give any problem until now, and were not
> dealt with the uninstalling procedures.
>
> Even if I try to install in a user, it finds the lily 2.4.0.
>
> Can someone help me to perhaps rename to lilypond-2.8.1 the Lilypond
> comand for the recent package, or to get rid of the old linking or path?
>
> I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
> working lilypond, which has become essential to me.
>
> Lilypond has improved extraordinarily since 1.4 and even since 2.4 and I
> look forward to use the improved figured bass.
>
> TIA,
>
> Luise Marion Frenkel.

How have you installed LilyPond in the past? With apt-get or some other way?

If you've used apt-get (or some other package manager), that would be
the best way to remove it now. I presume that's not possible, so you
might have to do something a little more drastic. (If you accidentally
remove lilypond-snapshot are you able to reinstall it?)

Try 'which -a lilypond'. That will show you the location of every
LilyPond executable in your $PATH. Getting rid of those--or modifying
your $PATH--may be your best option.

Do you access LilyPond from the command line or via emacs?

Cam