Re: System spacing

From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Subject: Re: System spacing
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:43:52 +0000

Mats,

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 15:05 +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> By default, LilyPond should not reserve any space for a lyrics line
> if there is no lyrics on that particular score line, so I expected
> your example to work exactly as you desire. (The exception to what
> I said is the first score line, where you can read more for example
> in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-08/msg00085.html).

I'm using the latest LilyPond, v2.7.38. I tried the suggestion made in
the post you reference (and also made by Geoff), but it seems to have
made no difference.  Geoff's \layout trick for the word spacing seems to
do the trick on that issue, though.

I'm appending the score in full, and I'll try to attach the output so
you can see what's up..

Regards,

Ruth

\header{
  title =        "Come and See"
  subtitle = "(We worsip at your feet)"
  composer = "Graham Kendrick"
  enteredby = "RIC"
  copyright = "(c) 1989 Make Way Music"
  style = "gospel"
  lastupdated = "2005/Mar/2"

#(set-global-staff-size 14)

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a5")
  #(define fonts
    (make-pango-font-tree "FrizQuadrata BT"
                        "Arial"
                        "LucidaTypewriter"
                        (/ 14 20)))

  top-margin = 0\cm
  bottom-margin = 0\cm
  ragged-bottom = ##t
  ragged-last-bottom = ##t
}

LabChorus = \markup { "" \translate #(cons -2 1) { \italic Chorus } }

verseMusic = {
  \set fontSize = #-1
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  \relative c' {
        \partial 16*2

        e16[ f]  g4. e16[ f]  g4. e16[ f] g8[ g f e] e4. d16 e f8 f e e
a g e8. c16  d2. r8
        e16[ f]  g4. e16[ f]  g4. e16[ f] g8[ g f e] e4. d16 e f8 f e e
a g e8. c16  d2. r8

chorusMusic = {
  \relative c' {
        g'8^\LabChorus  c c c c b4 r8 e,8 a a a a g4 r8 c,16 c f8 f g f
e e a8. d,16 d2. r8
        g8 c c c c b4 r8 e,8 a a a a g4 r8 c,8 f f g f e e a8. d,16 d2.
r8         % \bar "" \break
        d8 f2 e4 r8 e8 g4. ( f8)  e4 r8 e8 f2. d8 e8 c2. r8

verseOne = \lyricmode {
        \set fontSize = #-1
        \set stanza = "1. "
        Come and see, come and see, come and see the King of Love;
        see the pur -- ple robe and crown of thorns He wears.
        Sold- iers mock, rul- ers sneer as he lifts the cru -- el cross;
        lone and friend- less now, He climbs to -- wards the hill.
}

verseTwo = \lyricmode {
        \set fontSize = #-1
        \set stanza = "2. "
        Come and Weep, come and mourn, for your sin that pierced him
there;
        So much deep -- er than the wounds of thorn and nail.
        All our pride, all our greed. All our fal -- len -- ness and
shame:
        And the Lord has laid the pun -- ish -- ment on Him.
}

verseThree = \lyricmode {
        \set fontSize = #-1
        \set stanza = "3. "
        Man of heaven, born to earth To restore us to your hea- ven.
        Here we bow in awe ben -- eath Your search -- ing eyes.
        From Your tears comes our joy, From your death our life shall
spring;
        By your res -- urr -- ec -- tion pow -- er we shall raise.
}

chorusText = \lyricmode {
        \set fontSize = #-1
        We wor- ship at your feet, where wrath and mer -- cy meet,
        and a guil -- ty world is washed by love's pure stream.
        For us he was made sin, oh help me take it in.
        Deep wounds of love cry out 'Fa -- ther For -- give'.
        I wor -- ship, I wor -- ship the lamb who was slain.
}
\score {
%\midi { \tempo 4=72 }
<<
        \context Voice = mel {
                \repeat volta 3 {
                        \verseMusic  \bar "" \break
                        \chorusMusic
        \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics { \verseOne  \chorusText }
        \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics \verseTwo
        \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics \verseThree

\layout {
        \context {
           \Lyrics
           \override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #0.6
        }
        \context {
           \Score
           \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t