Re: line breaks

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: line breaks
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:02:51 -0800

On 15-Mar-06, at 9:53 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:

This is exactly what the bar line check does! See 6.2.4 Bar check! c'4 c c c | c c c c |

Certainly but I for one don't put | at the end of every bar. I normally only use | when I have a problem.

Are there musical cases where you can have more beats in a bar than the time signature indicates?

Cadenzas, I guess?   \cadenzaOn

Other special cases can be done with \partial.

Benjamin Britten occasionally used double meters -- say, a piece that changes between 3/4 and 2/4 on every single bar. These are notated with a 3/4 2/4 at the beginning of the piece, but nothing in the rest of the piece. We can do this in lilypond via other means.

Other than those examples, I don't think there are any musical cases where you can have more beats in the bar than the time signature indicates.

Cheers,
- Graham